Monday 18 November 2013

NOSTALGIA - 4: RE-DEDICATION TO FOLLOW LINGAN'S GREAT IDEALS

RE-DEDICATION TO FOLLOW LINGAN'S GREAT IDEALS

BY P S SUNDAR


Nov 19 marks the 49th demise anniversary of a notable member of Badaga, the predominant community of the Nilgiris, N Lingan, who had several firsts to his credit. My article on the occasion of his 105th birth anniversary just six days ago (Nov 13) appears in this blog as "Nostalgia - 3: Lingan's contributions recalled with gratitude".

I give here a photo I had taken of the photo of Mr Lingan. 

On the demise anniversary today, I recall the respect I paid to this great citizen of the Nilgiris through my article published in The New Indian Express dated Nov 21, 2011, as given below. 

In this article, I had quoted Lingan's grandson R Muralidharan (Operations Manager, Gateway Hotel Coonoor) to say, "On my part, I have decided to attach special care to senior citizens".   And, I have reasons to confirm that Muralidharan is doing this already.   He is a significant supporter of "Anbalayam", an old age home run by M N Trust at Denalai village, some 10 kilometres from Coonoor. He has been instrumental in the Home getting infrastructural improvements through Rotary Club of Nilgiris including two solar water heating systems costing Rs 54,600 which Rotary Governor Dr Senthilnathan Siva dedicated on Nov 12, 2013. "We have also built separate gender-based toilets in the Home and an approach road.  We have helped in the expansion of the living area resulting in the Home being able to double its accommodation number", Norman Wood, President of Rotary Club of Nilgiris, told me.  

Murali periodically takes his family members, colleagues and friends to the Home resulting in offering of food, plates, blankets and bedspreads besides monetary contributions. 

More importantly, many have told me that because of this, they have learnt the joy of giving.

This reminds me of Bhavadgitha 3.21:

"The deeds of a great man are followed by other people;
 The high standards he sets by exemplary acts, the      world pursues!".





No comments:

Post a Comment