Thursday 20 February 2014

ICON 2 -- BIRDS AS ICON OF THE NIGLRIS

ICON - 2 : 

BIRDS AS ICON OF THE NIGLRIS

BY P S SUNDAR


Something unique happened in the Nilgiris on Sunday, Feb 16, 2014.  For the first time since Delhi Bird Club started the 'Big Bird Day'  (BBD) in 2004, yes, a decade ago, ornithology enthusiasts got the Nilgiris included in the Agenda for this year's event scheduled on Feb 16.  This was brought to my notice a week before by Vikram, son of my highly respected long-time friend Dr Harshavardhan, now living in Hyderabad, through an e-mail which opened, "Regards from Vikram, son of Dr Harshavardhan. Please have a look at the event below that a group of us is organising in The Nilgiris. If it is possible it would be very helpful if you would do a write up about it for newspaper..."  

With great pleasure, I wrote an article which appeared in The New Indian Express on Feb 13, 2014 as under:



I had asked Vikram to keep me posted of the happenings on Feb 16 along with possible photos for further highlight in my columns.  That was when he disclosed his inability to be present for the event but he had arranged for information to be passed on to me.   Meanwhile, I had contacted team leaders G B Henriksen and N Dharuman, for whom I had written articles on different occasions, to share with me their findings and photos. 

And, after the event, organiser Jamuna Raju sent me mail. Henriksen phoned me, sent me details and shared some excellent photos of birds he had snapped during the survey.   My article on this appeared in The New Indian Express on Feb 18, 2014 as under:


 These are the superb photos Henriksen has sent me appearing in this alphabetical order below:

Barn Swallow, Brown Fish Owl, Chestnut-headed Bee Eater, Emerald Dove, Great Tit, Greater Coucal, Grey Jungle Fowl, Grey Wagtail, Nilgiri Flycatcher, Oriental White Eye, Pied Buschat, Scaly-breasted Munia and Tickell's Blue Flycatcher 














 Both Henriksen and Jamuna Raju had sent me detailed tabulation of the birds identified by the different groups during their survey.   Based on this, my third article on Big Bird Day 2014 in the Nilgiris appeared in The New Indian Express on Feb 19, 2014, as under:



As all the essential information have already been mentioned by me in the three articles above, I am not repeating them separately here.   

Nevertheless, I wish to record the fact that ornithology enthusiasts (Three Musketeers!) Jamuna Raju, SRK Ramasamy and G A Vikram created avian history in the Nilgiris on Feb 16, 2014, by opening the first chapter of Big Bird Day in the mountainous district where birds love to live and people love to watch the birds.  

I call this the first chapter because I have been repeatedly assured that this will be an annual event hereafter in a much improved way to cover the entire district avidly and authentically.  

In the past, after accompanying on bird watching, I had written (with photos) in my columns on the efforts of N Dharuman of Mullur and M Sivalingam of Aravenu besides M Lakshman at Palaniappa and Sultnana Estates in Colacamby.  These had motivated my asking for a scientific study by bird identifying experts on 3 Es -- endemic, endangered and exotic species -- separately in six agro climatic zones -- Coonoor, Udhagamandalam, Kotagiri, Kundah, Colacamby and Gudalur.  Of course, the bird-spread should be tracked to sholas/forests and water-bodies in all the zones.  This study will help decision makers devise strategy for the co-existence of human with their avian friends, including the migrants, despite global warming and concomitant changes in weather behaviour in the different agro-climatic zones.  This was more so after my studies at Vedanthangal and Rangathittu bird sanctuaries as also in Dubai, Singapore and New South Wales of Australia.  Now,   I get the feeling that this task will be addressed by the Three Musketeers  who organised the BBD in the Nilgiris, nine who led the teams in the five zones and all 150 bird lovers who monitored the bird population and flight. 

It is impossible to visualise existence of human who do not enjoy bird-life but, as I mentioned in my key-note address at Rotary Conference in Mangalore the other day, "Everyone likes birds but the threat is that some like them because they find the birds tasty!"           






10 comments:

  1. Thank you sir. I read this lovely article a while ago... R MURALIDHARAN, MANAGER - OPERATIONS, GATEWAY HOTEL COONOOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear that, Murali..Thanks..P S SUNDAR Feb 20, 2014

      Delete
  2. Dear Uncle,
    Your blog on the BBD '14 is a tribute to the efforts of so many who because of their passion for birds, nature and nature photography, along with a commitment to safeguarding the environment and disseminating their knowledge and experience. Thank you very much for the time, effort and speed at which you have done all what you have done for the cause. We are indebted to you. It would not be amiss to mention that the organizing team owes a debt of gratitude to Mr. Henriksen Greaves who through the establishment of his page Photos of Nilgiris (Flora and Fauna) on Facebook that has a such a huge membership, brought diverse people together whose shared passion made this event such a success.

    The exquisite photography of Mr. Dharuman, Mr. Bheeman, Mr. Henriksen, and a host of others on NFF page has exposed people to the wonders of nature, brought about awareness, engendered discussion and has united people in a common cause. With people like these coming together and your invaluable contribution, I am sure that the path to conservation and appreciation of nature has been made so much easier to traverse.
    Thanking you once again,
    With warm regards,
    Vikram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks are due to Mr. P. S. Sundar, senior journalist and writer for the immense interest he has taken in the event and the publicity he has accorded it.
    VIKRAM AUGUSTINE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Respected and Dear Sundar,

    Thank you very much for the transmission of your blogspot package. Needless to mention, I enjoyed pursuing the matter and I am looking forward to more of your resourceful stuff in the days to come.

    I was specially interested in the coverage relating to birds. I shall be obliged if you could please forward the birds information to the Nilgiri Natural History Society contact@nnhs.in . Just for your information, a coffee table book on Nilgiri Birds fabulously produced is on the pipe line.Another brochure also on Nilgiri Birds both in English and Tamil is being worked on. I hope you would have seen an earlier illustrated booklet produced by the Mudumalai sanctuary folk. I wish you the best of cooperation with Henriksen in all your endeavours for highlighting the birds of Nilgiris. Undoubtedly he is an excellent promoter of this cause.

    Please do reply if you have the inclination and time.

    Best of regards as always.

    Philip Mulley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sundar,
    On behalf of all those that love the environment, ecology and the citizens of The Nilgiris, I thank you for the varied and multidimensional contributions you made to inform and advise the aam admi and the governmental agencies to preserve the awesome splendours of The Nilgiris.

    Vikram, my son, got a fine camera recently and started to capture extraordinary pictures of the birds around our house in Secunderabad. That involvement with the birds may have triggered the urge to participate in the Big Bird Day for The Nilgiris. He managed to rope in his known and unknown friends of the hills to join the campaign. Spearheaded by Henriksen, Bheeman, Dharuman, Jamuna Raju, SRK and several others and coordinated by Vikram the BBD was celebrated with great enthusiasm in The Nilgiris.

    Who else but Sundar could disseminate the news that BBD was celebrated for the first time in The Nilgiris on 16 Feb 2014. Thank you for the blogs and news items on BBD. Great contribution in deed by you. I hope that the winged citizens of The Nilgiris would be identified and their presence recorded for the future generations. I wish those photographed birds of BBD 2014 could read your blogs and publications! I am sure they would feel truly happy for the recognition given to them.

    Warm Regards,
    Harshavardhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Doc..By now, I have written 6 articles in this Blog on the Birds of the Nilgiris and in five, I have listed the Birds identified by the BBD team for each zone separately. This documentation itself will be educative to all those who wish to know about the Birds in the Nilgiris while the survey would help decision makers know what they should not do!

      Many who surveyed have read my blog... This also appears in BBD page of Facebook. ... PS SUNDAR

      Delete