Saturday 15 March 2014

NOSTALGIA 8: MOTHER THERESA OF MY FAMILY

NOSTALGIA 8: 

MOTHER THERESA OF MY FAMILY

BY P.S. SUNDAR

March 16, 2014
I write this on June 20, 2008 – the 23rd anniversary day of my wedding with Shyamala.  Soon after getting up at 5 am, I prostrated gratefully in front of the photos of my late parents and her late parents who had the foresight to arrange the alliance resulting in Shyamala becoming the most precious gift of my life. Events flashed back as I remembered my describing Shyamala as ‘Mother Theresa of my family’.

In October 1987, we were blessed with a son whom we named Vignesh.   He grew up like other children until he started going to school in Coonoor when we discovered that he had problems of walking fast, running or jumping.  Our friend, Dr K. S. Pothi, diagnosed that Vignesh was suffering from that rare disorder called muscular dystrophy.   “There is no cure for this growing disorder.  It wastes the muscles, makes the patient immobile, cripples him to wheel chair and chokes the breathing system to death.  The end can come any time”, he said.

Shocked we were, but from then onwards, it was an unending trial of looking for light in the long tunnel.   Acupuncture, acupressure, homeopathy, ayurveda, physiotherapy, callipers – the poor child underwent all tortures in the name of treatment.   One evening while Vignesh was in fourth standard, he fell incurring a fracture, but never ever did he walk thereafter.  We came across Dr K Gunasekaran of GK Siddha Hospital in Perambur, Chennai, who instantly became our friend and helped a lot for treating Vignesh through ozhichal, pizhichal, othadam, oil massage etc.   Shyamala shifted to Chennai with Vignesh where he studied for eight years and I kept shuttling.   

We decided not to go for second child to give undivided attention to Vignesh.  He should not be treated as a rotten brinjal to be thrown away and fresh one bought for replacement.   Every working day, even when Vignesh was in Plus Two, Shyamala took him to school, attended to his toilet requirements, fed him and brought him back in the evening.  She bathed him.   She helped him to move pages, open books and on his computer in which, he was excellent.  Although there were servants, Shyamala had to physically lift him a few times each day.  She could never be away from him.  She did all this without a wrinkle on her face so, Vignesh should not  feel that he was a burden to us.

Shyamala received compliments when Vignesh bagged rank in Matriculation public exam.   But, on October 21, 2003, Vignesh, Plus-Two student, breathed his last.   His school Headmistress told me, “We used to pray that at least for all the trouble your wife took, Vignesh should be all right”.  That’s when I replied, “If there is someone whom I can describe as Mother Theresa in my family, it is she, it is she and none but she!”.


We wound up our Chennai establishment immediately and in the five three years, are living ‘together – still alone’ in Coonoor with both our parents and our only son dead.   Now, Shyamala is giving a new meaning to my life with her affection.  Today’s anniversary was in this backdrop.  

18 comments:

  1. Dear Sundar Sir,
    It has been a long time I agree..forgive me. You were never out of my mind or heart. Now your blog and facebook account can keep me better connected to you. I read the above blog. I also recall conversing with you about the unfortunate events. What our anni has done is commendable indeed. The physical and mental pangs you must have experienced at that time would have been no less. Whenever we do for our children even the most excruciating circumstances fail to deter us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, Mahendar..P S SUNDAR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Shri Sundar,
    It is a very poignant gift that you are giving your Mrs on her (and yours) wedding anniversary - The tremendous amount of patience and forbearance that your Mrs.displayed is commendable. More importantly, I remember you saying once that in all those years, she never once complained of anything - but silently did what was required You are so right when you call her the Mother Teresa of your family. Vignesh is ALWAYS there with you both - in spirit. I am moved when I read this. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sundar,
    I completely understand the mental turmoil and agony you both will be having. It is truly commendable to have an undestanding & comlementing partner in LIFE. My salute to both of you. I am personally a great admirer of you both and your FAMILY. I sincerely pray the ALMIGHTY for the tranquility. Ms Sundar is very great and my dear SUNDAR is also a part of the same. I too think of Vignesh and cherish the memory. Please accept my namaskaram. Affecdtionately Yours / Chari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for this marvellous expression of love and care..P S SUNDAR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncle, I wanted to tell you how much your article moved me. In the last para, you have written, you are alone..No, we are with you and be sure of that, dear Uncle..NEERAJ JAIN

    ReplyDelete
  7. MANY THANKS, NEERAJ...P S SUNDAR

    ReplyDelete
  8. While reading the article my eyes became wet. Shyamala Manni is an exceptional women rather mother, I must say, and I bow my head in front of her. RAVI (K G VEERARAGHAVAN) DUBAI

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks, Ravi..P S SUNDAR

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was really a touching article and Shyamala Manni fully deseves this appreciation from you “If there is someone whom I can describe as Mother Theresa in my family, it is she, it is she and none but she!”.. Of course we should admire your support also in the difficult situations. Without husband and wife both together cannot cross such a situation in life.



    With affection,

    Geetha V. Raghavan
    Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going through Sundar sir's blog today and read this post. Total respect for you, ma'am. You are truly the Mother Theresa of your family. I'm sure Vignesh is in peace now, having had such wonderful parents. . Anupama MA, Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very nice of you, Anupama..many thanks.. Sundar & Shyamala

      Delete
  12. Uncle & Aunt - Read your blog today - felt very sad for your loss. But couldn't agree with your last para - You both are not alone. I am family for you. Make lots and lots of friends and you will never feel alone again...Jamuna Raju, Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a wonderful expression, Jamuna..thanks a lot .. Shyamala & Sundar

      Delete
  13. You and Aunty lived with the inevitability, much longer than many in a similar situation and surely that knowledge must be have been very hard to bear. The celebration of life by Vignesh that you describe and have also told me about however paints the situation in a different light. Vignesh lived his life to the fullest and that is our inspiration, the beautiful memory, the lesson that remains in our heart...so much in contrast to a lot of people who exist, but do not live, who do not leave anything in our thoughts. You are not alone Uncle because he lives in more ways than you imagine, not only in your hearts, in ours too, in the inspiration he still gives, in the lessons he teaches....
    VIKRAM AUGUSTINE .. HYDERABAD..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MANY THANKS, VIKRAM.. WE GREATLY VALUE THIS.. SHYAMALA & SUNDAR

      Delete